Continue Hikes?

MULETEAM & COVID-19
I received the two messages below yesterday.
I would appreciate your comments on the blog page for others to see - muleteam.blogspot.com

We are continuing to hike for now, and this Saturday is Miller Canyon. See previous blog post for details.  -Larry

_____________________


From John Broz:
Hiking is explicitly permitted under Governor’s new restrictions.

_____________________


From Lizann Michaud:
On Mar 30, 2020, at 7:36 AM, Lizann Michaud <lizann314@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Larry and Muleteam,
I'm writing this because I care. Brad's description of the Joe's Canyon Trail hike, and his two cents about COVID-19, are both highly alarming.

Getting COVID-19 does not give anyone immunity for more than a few days max. And hiking, even six feet apart, means that hikers are breathing in other hikers' exhalations. As soon as a person exhales, the one behind is stepping up into it.

Respiratory droplets and aerosolized carriers of COVID-19 are in exhalations, as well as, coughs and sneezes. People are contagious up to 14 days before symptoms arise. And this virus is extremely contagious.

I implore you to stop official Muleteam hikes, as by keeping hikes under the Muleteam banner gives a sense of false safety. Please take this step to protect our whole community.

Sincerely, caringly,
Lizann



My reply:

Lizann,
Thanks for your thoughtful email, and I share your concern. However, the Muleteam is not 'my' hiking group - I schedule the hikes, but I don't feel I have the authority to stop them.

The hike leaders keep the group going, so I listen to what they want to do. Many have stopped hiking this season, but some have wanted to continue. We have banned carpooling and everyone is very aware of avoiding personal contact, but getting outside seems especially appealing these days.

I will share this exchange with the Muleteam soon, and we will continue to act responsibly.
Larry



1 comment:

  1. Hi Larry, can you remove my email address (or more) from the above comment? I'm seeking to reduce my personal info online, and a Google's privacy tool found this instance of my email address. Lizann

    ReplyDelete